Pages

Bama Newswire by Site

Bama Google Newswire

Bama Topix Newswire

Alabama – SEC Country

BamaMag.com - Forum Topics

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tide Tidbits 12/16/2007

Here are a few items I came across over the weekend that I thought were interesting:

Cody a Fan in a Major Way
Colorado quarterback Cody Hawkins (son of Col. coach Dan Hawkins) has two come-from-behind wins to his credit over a member of the Alabama coaching staff. As father and son stood in the lobby of the Texas football offices waiting to meet with Mack Brown, Applewhite strolled by. Cody said he tugged on his dad’s sweatshirt saying, “That’s Major Applewhite. That’s Major Applewhite.” They went to lunch, where Applewhite and Cody played two games of Eight-ball on the pool table. Applewhite led throughout but Hawkins won when his idol scratched on the eight ball to end both games.

Nick Saban Returns
Nick Saban arrived in town 12 days before Saint Nick to visit Lake Worth senior quarterback Star Jackson. Jackson is genuinely sold on Saban as a coach and praises him as a person. Interestingly, Lake Worth coach Errick Lowe played at Auburn, the Tide’s big in-state rival. Wonder how he will feel if Jackson throws a touchdown pass (or passes) to beat Auburn over the next four years?!

Melvin Ray Quote
"I made the Alabama commitment for a reason because they have stuck with me and believed in me for two years," said Ray, who held an Alabama offer dating back to Mike Shula's tenure at the Capstone. "I hear something from someone at Alabama all the time. They have shown me more love than anyone else, and my commitment to Alabama is solid. At the same time, I am not going to be stubborn and not listen to what other schools have to say. It would take something big for me to change my mind on Alabama. I am 90 to 95-percent certain I will be in Tuscaloosa next fall. I tell everyone the same thing, including FSU, LSU or whoever. I am committed to Alabama." - from BamaMag open forum

Coach Saban in Office When Melvin Ray's Coach is Fired
File this one under strange. Coach Weldon was sitting in his office Wednesday with Alabama Coach Nick Saban, who was checking on Melvin Ray. Weldon was called to the administrative office. He returned a few minutes later and told Saban he'd been fired. - The above was pieced together from from two articles. Here is the second one: Weldon: I will always love NFC

Chris Jackson Rumor
Chris Jackson is a 4* WR and soft-verbal to GA Tech. After a recent in-home visit from Coach Saban, it appears we have an excellent shot at him. He and his parents were really impressed by Coach Saban and the opportunity to play early. Jackson will be able to enroll in January which would give him a head start on the current WRs we have committed. Paul Johnson later came to talk with him and told him about the option offense he runs, but said he would show him how they would get him the ball. He is going to visit GT this week because he says he owes it to them. He will decide shortly after this weekend. He wasn't happy with what Johnson said about the GT offense. Looks good for Bama. - from BamaMag open forum

Roll Tide!

No comments:

Post a Comment